Sermons

Friday, April 15, 2016

Music for Tax Day: De profundis



Having a professional musician in the family means I am introduced to music I might not otherwise find. Son Jeff recommended a piece by Arvo Part, an Estonian composer, called Fratres. It's a good piece. But also, while nosing around YouTube, I discovered Part's setting of Psalm 130 (De profundis - out of the depths I cry to thee). Here it is, sung by the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir. Organ played by Christopher Broadbent-Bowers, percussion by Tonu Kaljuste.

I know it's still Easter, but this is a moving, meditative, and appropriate piece for income tax day.








4 comments:

  1. Different. I think it might grow on me Penny. The stark rather grim images are well suited to it too.
    As ever, thanks for the chance to hear this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ray. I was pretty much captivated immediately. Glad it gave you something to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part's setting of the Beatitudes - here - is gorgeous. But the ultimate piece for Income Tax Day is, of course, Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails