Music for Tax Day: De profundis



Having a professional musician in the family means I am introduced to music I might not otherwise find. Son Jeff recommended a piece by Arvo Part, an Estonian composer, called Fratres. It's a good piece. But also, while nosing around YouTube, I discovered Part's setting of Psalm 130 (De profundis - out of the depths I cry to thee). Here it is, sung by the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir. Organ played by Christopher Broadbent-Bowers, percussion by Tonu Kaljuste.

I know it's still Easter, but this is a moving, meditative, and appropriate piece for income tax day.








Comments

Ray Barnes said…
Different. I think it might grow on me Penny. The stark rather grim images are well suited to it too.
As ever, thanks for the chance to hear this one.
Thanks, Ray. I was pretty much captivated immediately. Glad it gave you something to ponder.
James said…
Part's setting of the Beatitudes - here - is gorgeous. But the ultimate piece for Income Tax Day is, of course, Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man.
Good point. Thanks for the link!