What do I know?


When [Jesus] had entered, he said to them, "Why do you make a commotion and weep? The child is not dead but sleeping." And they laughed at him. Mark 5:39-40a

Too often I think I know. I think I know what God wants. I think I know what is going on. I think I know how things really are. So often, I am wrong.

God's work is about bringing wholeness out of brokenness, bringing joy out of sorrow, bringing life out of death. But I am likely to be found among the crowd, laughing with derision, not willing to be open to the beauty that God brings out of the wreckage of the world and out of my own life. It is a failure of imagination on my part, an inability to abide in a place of wonder and awe, to only see the surface and not see what could be.

God has promised abundant life to us, even in the midst of death. That life often comes in surprising and creative ways - ways I am not able to be open to because I think I know everything already.

Lord, help me know you instead of knowing everything.






Comments