Sunday Visitor

After church, I came home and slipped into my favorite reading chair for a little while. Suddenly, I started hearing this sound. Not exactly knocking, but something. I thought it might be the ice maker, but the noise was not coming from the freezer.

I went to the front door and looked out the glass side lights and didn't see anything. But the noise was definitely coming from the other side of the door.

I turned the lock, thinking that whatever was out there would be frightened by the sound.  But it wasn't. I opened the door and this young mourning dove nearly fell into the living room.

It had been pecking at its reflection in the brass kick plate.

It righted itself after the near-spill into the living room and faced down the enemy once more.


















It got breast to breast with the rival bird and continued to peck away.




































After a few more minutes of fruitless scaring-the-other-bird-away maneuvers, it decided to move on.

See you around the neighborhood, little bird!




Comments

your photos are simply amazing! Thank you for sharing.
Thank, Penelope! It was a bit of a shock to see this little fellow, who was completely undaunted by me and my camera.

Hope your walking is going well! I wish I were doing all that walking with you!
Great piece and great photos! Years ago I had a similar experience. It was also on a Sunday afternoon when a bird was pecking at the glass door that opened onto the back yard. I wrote a poem about it that afternoon expressing sentiments of how that creature was trying to enter my world not knowing the futility of such, and that I had had similarly futile efforts as a human trying to enter her world. What I didn't think about was what you said about the young bird pecking at it's own reflection.
Ray Barnes said…
Gorgeous little bird Penny. Your pictures are really out of this world. I meant it when I said you should publish them, complete with comments in book form.
I'd buy it and I am sure many many others would too.
Anonymous said…
Penny, I'm sure you know this quote but it's something that always comes to mind when I look at your beautiful pictures:

"We are only human in contact and conviviality with what is not human." (David Abrams, The Spell of the Sensuous)

Thanks for making me feel more human!
Thanks, Charles. It does seem an odd intersection of worlds!
You're very kind, Ray. I'm glad you enjoy my efforts!
Actually, I hadn't seen that quote, Antonia. Thanks for sharing it! I'm glad you enjoy the photos I post here.