De profundis

De profundis - out of the depths. It comes from the Psalm 130: Out of the depths I cry to thee - the Lenten hymn "From deepest woe I cry to thee" in the Episcopal hymnal is but one musical setting of this psalm.

The Estonian composer Arvo Part wrote this moving 4-part piece based on the psalm in 1980. Close your eyes and listen:


The Psalm's text:
 
1Out of the depths have I called to you, O LORD;
LORD, hear my voice; *
    let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
 
2If you, LORD, were to note what is done amiss, *
    O LORD, who could stand?
 
3For there is forgiveness with you; *
    therefore you shall be feared.

4I wait for the LORD; my soul waits for him; *
    in his word is my hope.
 
5My soul waits for the LORD,
more than watchmen for the morning, *
    more than watchmen for the morning.
 
6O Israel, wait for the LORD, *
    for with the LORD there is mercy;
 
7With him there is plenteous redemption, *
    and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.


Comments