On and Off the Island

This odd little rock island, just off the coast of Northern Ireland (Antrim) has a partial wall built upon it and perhaps something else on the other side. We saw it from the island one crosses onto by way of the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge. It seems an appropriate location for either a prison or a castle.

Islands are like that. They house both castles and prisons. Some of us need to get off the island - to get out into the world and mix with everyone else - while others need to head over to an island to get away from it all. We need both, of course, and the trick is to know when it's time for refuge and when it's time to get out and about.

I frequently get confused about which is which. I like islands. I like being near the water, away from the beaten path. Islands are definitely a refuge for me. So I like to spend lots of time there, physically and emotionally. And yet I get that sometimes I have kept myself locked up there and need to get out among the people again.

I tried going outside in my yard, outside the island of my air conditioned house complete with internet and books, the last couple of days, to water the parched roses and pull a few weeds, but was attacked by thousands of mosquitoes both times. I used to be one of those people mosquitoes aren't particularly interested in; apparently that has changed and I have bites all over. So I need to go somewhere with fewer mosquitoes.

But I see that I need to get out. And take my camera. God is nudging me.

So for the next month, horrible heat or no, I am going to be getting out and doing different things, farther afield than my mosquito-ridden yard. I'm in a rut, and it's time to shake things up.

Comments